Tuesday, August 3, 2010

Toast. and Other Things.

I think anyone who knows me knows that I love toast. Toast for breakfast? Um, yes. Toast for lunch. Bring it on. Toast for dinner? Absolutely. Just give me some good salty butter, maybe a little cream cheese once in a while, or some yummy cheese and I'm a happy girl. In fact, It's 3pm in Buenos Aires and I'm sitting at a table in the cafe Piacere across the street from our apartment and I ordered a coffee with toast, butter, and jam. One of the things I love about toast is that its more of a preparation of food than it is a food item. Toast exists in so many countries around the world and in so many forms. Its kinda like beer in the sense that most countries have it and make it locally, even though it turns out different everywhere. In fact, since i love toast so much, I will take you all on a toast-crawl around the world since chances are, I'll be eating it alot. Thrilling for you, I know.

In Buenos Aires, the local toast preparation is exactly what i have in front of me. A slew of baguette toasts, accompanied by a pot of butter and a pot of strawberry jam. Of course, it mostly ordered with a standard cafe con leche, which is also accompanied by a really tiny glass of carbonated water. (Thats a whole other issue - dont Argentines drink water? I have never been so parched.)

Piacere toast - eating this as i write

toast at La Poesia in San Telmo
On to non-toast related items.

The other day, after enjoying the above toast and a brisk winter walk in a neighborhood called San Telmo, we bumped into the indoor local market. The market contained everything: antiques, small thrift booths full of old Argentinian wares, souvenir shops, farmer's booths overflowing with fresh fruits and vegetables, tables full of old watches, jewelers, and local artisans. The people at the San Telmo market were all extremely friendly and inviting, joking with each other even though all vying for the same customers. The produce was all organic and brought in by local farmers. The food stands served typical Argentinian fare to locals passing through and looking for a bite. I couldnt help but purchase bags and bags of veggies to take home and enjoy. Im looking forward to going back to enjoy the warm atmosphere (and i dont mean the air - its frickin cold thanks to an "Antarctic cold front") and bring home more fresh salad fixings.





No comments:

Post a Comment